Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Hometown

As an aspiring writer I often find myself wishing I lived in a big city where stuff happened and there were a lot of different kind of people around and experiences to be had. But when I really think about the town I live in I realize that's largely a case of the grass is always greener on the other side and I don't realize what's in the town I've lived in for most of my life.

I live in Petoskey in Northern Michigan which doesn't have much in the way of population or entertainment options if you're not a skier or golfer.  But I then remember that this is the same place Ernest Hemingway's family owned a summer house. In fact that house was on Walloon Lake which is the same place I grew up as a kid. I've been to bars that boast of him having been there and book stores have sections dedicated to his books, and books about him. His daughter had a house on the same road I lived on and was a member at the golf course down the road from my house. Hemingway has had many experiences that I haven't, but it's cool to think that there are similar ones between us. My Father spent time with me in the woods, and taught me to hunt as well, although I don't do it that often, and presumably that would be in the same woods that Hemingway learned as well, although it is much changed from then.

Not every town is going to be connected to a famous author, but they all have their stories and the past of families are interesting as well. It's important to remember that any place can seem boring if you overlook parts of it, and see a different place as exciting. Remember that there are people living in those places who think their town is boring and want to go somewhere as well.

I'm not quite sure what the point of this is beyond remembering that every place has its own quirks and to enjoy those and remember that there is always something interesting to be found. I think about this occasionally and walking around downtown they have plaques up that talk about the past of the city and I always stop and read them. I find that history interesting and every place should be remembered for its history and what it does that no other place offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment